MSF OCB has developed a number of publications and tools to assist health care workers with patient education and counseling (PEC) of those with active TB disease, whether it be drug-sensitive or drug-resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB). The ultimately goal is to help people adhere to their TB treatment regimens, which is especially important because adherence is one of the main determinants of the success of a TB program.
This toolkit consists of:
- A Patient Education and Counseling (PEC) guide for use with patients having active TB disease, including DR-TB, which contains important messages and adherence steps to be discussed at key moments in their follow-up.
- Visual aids (i.e. flip charts) to facilitate communication between health care workers and patients during educational sessions.
- A joint publication between MSF, the City of Cape Town, and the Western Cape Health Department that aims to standardize DR-TB counseling messages in South Africa, describe what counseling sessions entail, and the resources necessary to implement the counseling model. This 7-page document is available by clicking here.
- Tools complementary to this joint publication are available here.
- Date April 18, 2014
- Tags Patient education and counseling, TB